Sunday, April 23, 2006

"OLD TIME MOVIES"

I was watching an old time movie yesterday, you know the old black and white film with poor acting and a bad worn out plot. Well maybe I wasn't actually watching the movie more like starring in the direction of the TV and letting the scenery on the screen time travel me back to those good old days. My mind was adrift in some remote long gone period when things seemed simpler and less complicated. I found myself back in North Adams around, Oh I don't know, you know those olden times! I was seeing the old automobiles and wishing I had one, watching people scurry hither and fro, slipping in and out of the many stores on main street. Wondering what they were thinking and what was important to them, wishing I could communicate. Wanting to stand on the street corner with that group of gentlemen and listen in on their conversation or go up to the Lafayette Club and have a frosty one with the boys while easedropping in on their banter. Not that life was easier back then, hell it was a lot tougher and shorter. Maybe that's what was dragging me back? The longing for a time when people were stronger because they had to be and beliefs were more sincere because sincerity was held in such high regard. An era when a persons word was his seal and badge of integrity and people prided themselves in being honest. Drifting back to busy Old North Adams I became part of the whole City. ( and back then it was a City ) A multitude of people working in the many factories that were around. All busy with the concerns of life but with one big difference from today.......there was hope in the future! They felt they were working for something and what they were doing really made a difference and there was pride in their work. I next found myself on a playground, maybe Freeman School or Johnson School, or Braton School, The French School or maybe St. Josephs, I really don't know which one it was maybe it was all of them. But I was pondering how back then you had neighborhoods and the hub was the School you went to. You learned and developed pride in belonging to something. Where as today it is just a single learning factory pumping out kids that can take a hell of a good test. I may have been feeling sorry for the youngins of today because they were missing out on a lot of stuff that isn't on a test, things that build character and backbone and tools that they will need later in life. Well the movie is over and I don't have a clue what it was about! I'm sure it will be on again.....next time do you want to join me on a trip?
It's Your Dime!

No comments: