Monday, March 17, 2008

" I WAS JUST THINKING "

MORNIN PEOPLE.....

Last night, as I was settling in my easy chair for the night, from out of no where came thoughts of "OLD NORTH ADAMS". There is something reassuring or an in the womb like feeling when I see old pictures of the town. Sometimes I wish I could time travel back there and hang out on main street for a day or two. Stand in front of the Lafitte Club or by the old buss stop just listening to the hustle and bustle of a vibrant city going about it's daily grind. Anyway.....do any of you old timers remember the guy that was dressed in white and us to travel down town with an old beat-up trash can on wheels? You know...the STREET SWEEPER!
I never gave him much thought when I was growing up in the town, as many probably didn't either, but he was always there. My thoughts were wondering if he was officially on the town payroll or was just carrying on a long forgotten tradition. I would suppose that his job and those that came before him were hired by the town to pick up horse poop. Anyone have any information for me? My wondering mind wants to know!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Quite a coincidence Southview, over the weekend I "read" a book titled "North Adams" in prepartion for my upcoming Tech Tuesday article on iBerkshires (the author escapes me at the moment but I believe he either is, or was, the director of the museum in Heritage Park). I put read in quotes because it is cover to cover pictures of North Adams at the turn of 19th/20th century.

I've lived here all my life and my family goes back to some of the very early days of NA and I just could get over what a happening place NA looked to be. The streets were packed with people and businesses and the majestic pictures of Arnold Print Works are just amazing. Even a newer photo of JB III giving some batting tips to Joe DiMaggio.

North Adams was cutting edge back then and I plan to tie that time with the present day NA using highspeed Internet and hydrogen - a little teaser should anyone be inclined to read my article besides my family.

I highly recommend the book should you be able to find a copy.

Anonymous said...

snoop you have finally showed your hand.....i don't remember the street sweeper but i do remember the guy that sold popcorn and cotton candy out of a shack tied to the back of a station wagon....how about the old guy with the beagle, they found him dead on greylock.....he use to come in to bill hussy's place when i was taking guitar lessons....


ctrem

Southview said...

snoop & ctrem.....I have several passions, Genealogy is #1, anything North Adams pre Ur-Bane Destruction #2, (#1 & #2 sometimes intermix because of our family migrating here in the 1800's from Kamouraska, Canada).
da snoop...I surely would like to read your article. Send it along! I may already have the book you reference, I have several. My problem is that I am not very organized. I am more of a collector of facts than a librarian. I have more of a Huey, Louie system than the dewy system. My file cabinet is a cardboard box. I need help!

Anonymous said...

The book is called Images of North Adams by Robert Campanile.

CJT, yeah I've given up the mystery, it was fun while it lasted. I'm surprise I haven't heard from Mr. Etman (maybe he doesn't read any more), he and I grew up together.

The article will be on iBershires.com starting next Tuesday night (3/24), if I haven't caused them to shut down by then.

Anonymous said...

Aw, Southview, you got a hug.

Southview said...

So whats next a sloppy kiss and a butt pinch?