Sunday, July 16, 2006

"I BEEN A CAMPIN"

Good mornin! Well I am back from a restful week a campin at the City (town) Campground up at Fish Pond. We decided to go a campin locally because it is close to home and I hadn't been up there for many long years. On a scale of 1 to 10 I would have to give it a 9. There were some issues with very old and rotting tables and site maintenance seems non existence. It struck me that putting on kids for summer help to take care of some of these issues, maybe through some summer work grant, could fix these problems. The staff was friendly and helpful and vigilant in maintaining order and safety for all campers, they get a gold star. The last time I was there, pop up campers were just coming into use, but now there are these mega motor homes that need a 200 amp service and an acre just for themselves. Times sure do change. I have to admit I to first started out doing the tent thing, an experience in self inflected misery, then moved up to a pop-up, the older type mind you that was nothing more than a tent on wheels. Then joined the elite with a 30 foot tow behind rig that had more shit in it than I had at home. Ran on gas and or electric, cable hook up, telephone hook up, satellite hook up, central heat and or air conditioning, shower, (inside and outside) flush toilet, stained glass, rug, queen bed, plush couch and an easy swivel chair! Well being that all things have a season, first my truck decided that it had had enough and retired from active service. Now without a tow vehicle all I could do was go sit in the camper in the yard and suck on a bruski and pretend. Then my wife passed away and that pretty much ended my camping. So I sold the camper and all the accumulated stuff that goes with it in hopes that someone else could enjoy it. Guess what?........now I am back to that tenting thing again! ( I must like to inflect pain on myself!) I discovered real fast that when you are older trying to get up off the ground from sleeping on a half deflated air mattress in the middle of the night in a dark tent to take a wizz, is a trick that Houdini couldn't even master. I upgraded to a cot!
I think that with gas prices going through the roof that people will rediscover some of the real assets we have here locally. A nice place for the family to go with lots for the younins to do. Now if we can only get BENCHES downtown for us old tired campers, I may try and discover what wonders we have on Main Street.